is a collection of islands in the Indian Ocean
, off the coast of Mozambique
, and with Madagascar
in the East
. The small nation inhabits a series of small volcanic islands, although one of the islands, Mayotte
, is still administered by France
and was never ceded to the independent Comorian government.
You can now support this channel via Patreon, by accessing the link bellow. Thank you
The Oceanian series:
The American Series
In this brief video you can find seven little known facts about Comoros.
More information about the video content bellow:
1. The name "Comoros" derives from the Arabic
word qamar, which means moon. According to pre-Islamic mythology, a jinni (spirit) dropped a jewel, which formed a great circular inferno. This became the Karthala
volcano, which created the island of the Comoros.
2. Although it has a population of less than 800 thousand people, the Union of the Comoros
is a member of several important international organizations, such as the African Union
, La Francophonie
, Organization of Islamic Cooperation
, Arab League
and Indian Ocean Commission
is the largest island of the Comoros archipelago
. It is also the island where the Comoros capital city of Moroni
is located. Ngazidja is also known as Grande Comore Island
. The principal attraction of the island of Ngazidja in Comoros is the active volcanic mountain known as Mount Karthala
. Other attractions of Ngazidja Island
in Comoros include the Vendredi Mosque
. The mosque is located very near the port. Ngazidja Island also has a few hot sulphur springs.
, located on the eastern shore of the island of Nzwani
), was described as a major trading center in the fifteenth century. It had trade contacts with Africa
and we know from archaeological evidence that trade existed between the community and places as far away as Japan
5. Mayotte is the only island in Comoros which does not want to part away as a French colony
. In 1974
, it voted against the independence. Therefore, French
administers it as an overseas department.
6. Comoros became part of the French Colonial Empire
in the 19th century
. After its annexation, France converted Mayotte into a sugar plantation colony. The other islands were soon transformed as well, and the major crops of ylang-ylang, vanilla, coffee, cocoa bean, and sisal were introduced. It became independent in 1975
7. Since declaring independence, the country has experienced more than 20 coups d'état or attempted coups, with various heads of state assassinated. Along with this constant political instability, the population of the Comoros lives with the worst income inequality of any nation.
Teknoaxe – Glitchamania Beepless
- published: 14 Jan 2017
- views: 2236